Friday, February 15, 2019

Ananta Shayanam - Maha Vishnu in all beauty and splendour


The Ananthashayanam form of Maha Vishnu is one form I have been fascinated with.  Having grown up in a city of temples, Trichy, Srirangam was a temple my parents took us to every sunday. Lord Renganathar resides here.  In the temple's grounds, we have spent numerous days playing after praying to Him. In his Home we grew up.  In his lap we spent all our sundays.  Maybe that is why the strong connection.  Maybe that is why I turn to him in joy and sorrow.  Even today when I go to the temple, I walk there with so much confidence for I know it is Home.  That I belong there.  That He is mine.


Image result for srirangam ananthasayanam

Maha Vishnu is one person who defies definition.  Maha Vishnu in different forms, each unique in some way, big or small, but significant, can be found across India.  Each avatar of Lord Maha Vishnu is fascinating for He teaches us something.

The second Ananthashayanam I prayed to was at the Padmanabhaswamy Temple at Tiruvananthapuram.  It was a meeting I can never forget.  Following the habit of going to a temple empty stomach, it was 11 by the time we finished darshan.  In the throes of hunger, we checked the prasadam counter for payasam, a favourite of the Lord.  As we have not pre-booked, we could not get payasam.  So, hunger burning the belly and patience, we decided to have food in the temple and stood in the queue.  All I could think of standing at the queue was having the Lord's payasam.  We had the simple annadaanam comprising of rice, sambar and avial.  I did go back for the avial much to my own surprise and the surprise of the people serving food.  At the end of the lunch, the kind lady sitting next to us, poured out two glasses of payasam from the container she had, and offered us.  I was dumb founded and tears stung my eyes.  I looked at Arun and he was equally dumbfounded for standing in the line, I had kept repeating that all I wished was for a glass of the Lords payasam.  I had asked the Lord only one thing that day - a little payasam and he gave me that.  Many may call it random, others coincidence.   Believe me, in all my years, have I never wished for something so strongly more so in a temple, nor has anyone offered me anything.  The family of mother and daughter are friends today who I keep in touch.  They will always remain close to heart.


Image result for ananthasayanam sree padmanabhaswamy


The third Ananthashayanam I had the blessing of experiencing was at Orissa in January.  Equally large, a work of art which had weathered the elements so well.  The best part of this Ananta Shayanam was that it had a calmness unlike the other two.  He made me think of living in this world, untouched by the nastiness around, living to my own beat and finding joy and contentment in my little world.


I pray for more experiences.  For more insights.  For more knowledge.  A chance to connect with Him.




No comments: